Yes I cheated on my fabric diet again yesterday. It’s getting to be a monthly thing- 1 cheat each month so far. But I had good reason- The London Modern Quilt Guild Canada block Logo Challenge.
All the Guild members are invited to make a block using the colours from our Guild’s logo. Sheilagh so kindly gave us all paint swatches so we could match up fabric that was similar in colour.
We had our logo printed on fabric from Spoonflower so all our individual blocks will be incorporated into a quilt top with the actual printed logo block. Our plan is to have a Guild quilt that can be used to promote the guild and show everyone what some modern quilt blocks look like.
Way back in the summer, well is seems so way back to me, The MQG had a webinar by Cheryl Arkison who was explaining her Improv with Intention technique and how she went about making her Mountain Meadows. Here is another blog post on Piecing her quilt.
Some how she got from here…
While I am not sure this technique is my kind of piecing, I did want to give it a try and thought, why not take the LMQGC logo and improv piece it into a block?
So I went from here…
It was kind of fun and totally stressful just chopping up fabric in whatever shape, and then sewing it to another piece of whatever shaped fabric, and so on and so on. I cut with scissors, never measured anything and if a piece was to short, just sewed on more fabric. Could I make a whole quilt this way- NO! But one block was do-able. No rules, no pattern, no idea what in the world I was doing.
Here are some WIP photos so you can see my “process”
Here are my swatches of fabric matched up with the paint samples.
Just chop up fabric and sew it back together. Really simple right? Really stressful right?
Here is the tree trunk and corner of the block.
Told you, no measuring!
Top half and bottom half ready to go together.
As the block went along, and me breathing into a paper bag, my improv piecing became a little less stressful. And thankfully I was able to keep it close to a 12″ on each side, which is one of our guidelines.
Thanks MQG and Cheryl Arkison for a great webinar where I learned a new technique! Now I can say I did it! Might never do it again, but that’s OK.
Our logo challenge is due at our November meeting- can’t really believe I have it done 2 months in advance as my usual style is the night before. But thought I should get this out of the way so I can work on my next project- the MQG and Michael Miller fabric challenge, which I also think might be due in November. Time to get out the graph paper and start scribbling again…